Monday, October 14, 2013

Cooking to calm the nerves

I've been pretty open about the fact that I'm relatively terrified about this upcoming marathon. And while I've been trying to keep my nerves in check and do what's best for me body, I feel like it's all kind of coming to a head. Now that we are less than a week away from the big day I feel like the only thing I can think about is this race. It's all consuming! In an attempt to temporarily clear my mind (and continue to properly fuel my body) I've finally been spending more time in the kitchen- and it's felt good!

This weekend I decided to embrace fall and eat my first spaghetti squash of the season. I was craving vegetables but wanted a meal that also felt hardy.

Like 99% of the meals I cook, I started by sauteeing an onion.


To increase the richness I threw in a tablespoon of butter, instead of using olive oil. While the onion was cooking I chopped up some fresh sage and garlic. I feel that any autumn squash + sage = perfection. 


I added in the sage and garlic, a bit of fresh ground pepper, some baby bella mushrooms and probably 3 cups of fresh spinach (I love mt greens) and allowed it all to cook down.


As all of this was taking place on the stove top, I had an entire (GIANT) spaghetti squash roasting in the oven. I generally just coat a baking sheet in olive oil, cut the squash in half and roast it face down until a butter knife can cut into it.


This baby was over 5 lbs of deliciousness so I only shredded half and added it into the saute pan.


Finally I topped this all off with some of my sweet curry tofu and had a well balanced meal. This dinner tasted like fall and was extremely filling. I look forward to many more squash adventures this season!


No comments:

Post a Comment