Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Playing Catch Up

Tuesday already? I don't know where my weekend went!

Let's rewind, shall we?

On Friday night the boy and I had a lovely evening with his parents. We checked out a new microdistillery (yay for free promotional t-shirts!) and a new restaurant all in the same night. 


This restaurant actually opened over a year ago, but being creatures of habit we've gotten bad about trying new places. I liked the decor and chalk board menus but it was a bit too loud for my taste (we ended up getting seated in the bar which was not ideal). I wasn't super hungry but I ordered their vegan black bean burger with a side salad and we split some sweet potato fries amongst the table. The black bean burger was solid- definitely made in house, with a little bit of spice and great toppings (roasted red peppers, mushrooms and a cilantro pesto) but the side salad was the star of the meal! It had white cheddar, walnuts, dried apricots and a spicy mustard dressing. Seriously to die for. I dominated it and took about 3/4 of my burger home. We came home and watched an episode of House of Cards on Netflix (I'm really digging this) before I fell asleep on the couch. I dragged myself up to bed and decided not to set an alarm for the morning.

After a few false starts I got out of bed around 9a and ate a small breakfast to fuel me for a long run. Flax & Fiber toast + PB2 + shredded coconut (a genius addition if I do say so myself) and tons of water. I let my breakfast digest while I waited for it to warm up a bit outside. I layered up in long tights, a long sleeve shirt, a light windbreaker, a headband + gloves and set out for a run. I've been kind of a baby lately and haven't run outside in longer than I want to admit so I wasn't sure what my plan was for the day. I knew I wanted to run at least 6 miles (which has been my "long" distance since my last injury) but figured I'd just see how I felt. About a mile in I realized that it was THE perfect running day in Ohio and settled on 8 miles. It was so beautiful out and it reminded me what I truly love about running. My runner's high was in full effect and I honestly ran the last mile or so with a bit goofy grin on my face. My original goal was to take it super slow (~10 minute miles) but I felt comfortable going a bit faster. When I hit 8 miles I decided to run for another few minutes to even it out at an hour and 20 minutes of exercise. I finished at 8.51 miles and felt like I was on cloud nine.

Splits:
Mile 1: 9:04 (I REALLY need to work on starting off a bit slower!)
Mile 2: 9:30
Mile 3: 9:25
Mile 4: 9:40 
Mile 5: 9:46
Mile 6: 9:19
Mile 7: 9:19
Mile 8: 9:15
Mile 8-8.5: 9:17

Not winning any speed contests but a good indicator that I can absolutely nail a sub 2 half this spring! I felt strong at the end and was really pleased with my negative split. I promptly came home and stretched (but not enough :-( but calf is still tight and I took Monday AND this morning off) while eating everything in sight and chugging some coconut water. The rest of Saturday was nice and calm, we had some friends over for board game night and just hung out. Definitely a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment