Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Speed work all day long

I had a tough time getting out of bed this morning, it was NOT pretty. Let's just say that there was at least a solid hour between the time my alarm went off and the time I actually got up. Whoops!

I was rushed for time but luckily I had a short speed work session on my schedule. I'm still not feeling 100% so I kept it easy. Throughout this training plan I've been experimenting with different types of speed work and today's came from Jenny Hadfield's plan. It looked like this:

5 min walking warm up
10 min easy running (I was SUPER crunched for time so I took this down to 5 minutes)
Repeat 4 times: 5 min at a comfortably hard pace (for me today that was 8:00-8:30) 2 minutes slow jog (10:30ish)
5 min easy run cool down (9:00, I was feeling strong still)
5 min walking cool down




All said and done I covered over 4 miles and maintained the 8:00-8:30 pace super easily. My calf has been tight from the transition to more minimal shoes and my long run on Saturday so I knew I didn't want to push too hard. Since my goal is just sub 2 I only need to hit a 9:09 pace so this was still good for me.

I sped home, cooked a speedy breakfast and ate while I stretched.



On the plate:
1 egg + 2 egg whites
1/4 of an avocado
shredded monterey jack cheese

Delicious but smaller than my average breakfast, I'll be snacking earlier than usual today.

[And please excuse my photos- I'm working on it! I've been defaulting to my iPhone camera and while impressive for a PHONE camera it's still nothing spectacular. I was actually a photography major for the first half of college so I swear I have some picture taking skillz in me. I'll show them off soon ;-) ] 

Back to work I go! It's busy busy busy around here today.

No comments:

Post a Comment