Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What season is it?!?

Yesterday was kind of an off day for me. I worked both jobs, grabbed fast-ish food on the road between them, got home late, ate ice cream and pizza and stayed up way way past my bedtime. I felt off, I was feeling bad for myself and whining about my long day. At 1a (seriously) I made the decision that come hell or high water I would fit a run in before work in the morning.

5.5 hours later l was slowly reminding myself of said decision. Despite the lack of sleep I felt ready to tackle the day, my body just needed a little convincing. I checked the weather only to be pleasantly surprised- 66 degrees and sunny! With no excuses left I got myself moving, laced up the PureCadences (that I plan on running in this weekend) and got out the door.

I'm not exactly sure what I thought 66 + sunny would feel like, but when you are running what it feels like is HOT. By mile 2 I was super sweaty and needed a little reprieve. K. had told me about some mountain biking paths that shoot off the trail so I kept an eye out for one and was more than happy to hop on and enjoy some serious shade. The running part of this upcoming duathlon is legit trail running and since I have zero experience with that I figured now was a good time to try it out, better late than never, right? I hopped some tree branches, sank into the mud, got hit in the face with more than a few vines and quickly realized that I needed to really pay attention to what I was doing or else I would break an ankle. I did just a bit more than half a mile in the woods before coming to an exit, a good start if I do say so myself.

At this point I was on a real time crunch, as my original plan had been an easy 3, so I picked up the pace just a tad and made my way home. I immediately downed the largest cup of water I could find and stretched my calves, I think this might have been my longest run in these more-minimal shoes (and it is, sadly, my longest run since my half) so I knew I couldn't skip this very important step that I constantly ignore.



Not too shabby for an easy run for me, especially given my trail running detour

I had about 20 minutes to shower and get ready for work, so that was really fun. By the time I got to work I was famished and quickly headed over to the cafe for my favorite vegan breakfast burrito.

It's not pretty but it is delicious.
Spinach tortilla stuffed with vegan sausage, marinated tofu, roasted potatoes & broccoli, pico on the side

Two days ago it was 35 degrees when I woke up and now our high is 87. I can't keep up with this Ohio weather! I'm much more of a summer girl so I say bring on the heat :-)


2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled upon your blog and hello there my fellow Ohioan runner! :)

    I have to agree with your ranting about our weather. Last weekend it was raining and cold 40s. And now it's like summer HOT!

    ReplyDelete